Sweet & Spicy Broiled Pineapple Chicken
This super easy sweet and spicy broiled pineapple chicken recipe is the perfect weeknight meal! Just throw all the ingredients into your crockpot in the morning and by the time you get home….voila! the perfect meal.
This dish is amazing because the flavours get married in the most perfectly mouth watering combo. There’s a hint of everything. Some tangy, a bit of sweet, a hint of spicy and a rounded savoury flavour. My favourite side of choice these days is quinoa so that’s what I ended up pairing it with; however, if you prefer a different side, go for it! This recipe is amazing with anything.
At first I was not too sure what to do with my gorgeous pineapple that I picked up at Costco (which is my all time favourite place to be… apart from TJ Max home section of course 😉 ).
The funny thing is that I’m actually allergic to fresh pineapples but I LOVE them!!! Luckily, though, I have no problem with pineapples once they’re cooked. So whenever I see a nice one at the grocery store, I can’t resist buying it. I thought I would make a pineapple cake my mom used to make but she sent me the recipe in Russian which was just too hard for me to go over LOL. I’m fluent in Russian but reading is hard :/
I had a chicken and figured, heck, why not make this broiled pineapple chicken.
What a hit!!! It’s so easy to make and so delicious!
I used 1 whole chicken but if you don’t have a whole chicken, you can use whatever you prefer.
Ideally, you would use bone-in pieces as that makes the sauce much richer. If you don’t have bone-in pieces then simply add some chicken bouillon base to the water.
This recipe came out super tender and just the perfect amount of sweet and spicy!
I was afraid the pineapple would over power the other flavours and make it too sweet but it didn’t.
This is definitely a must try weeknight dinner!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 medium pineapple broiled on high
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (add more after to taste)
- 2-4 tbs Sriracha
- 2 tbs chilli flakes (add less if you don't like spicy)
- 2 tbs garlic salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Add all the ingredients except the pineapple into the crockpot and cook on high for 4-6 hours depending on size of chicken.
- Cut the pineapple into chunks and broil on high until golden and fragrant.
- Place half of the pineapple chunks into the crockpot and continue cooking.
- An hour before the chicken is ready, take a small bowl, put a couple of tbs of the broth in it and add the corn starch. Mix well and incorporate back into the crockpot.
- Once the chicken is tender add the remaining broiled pineapple chunks and serve.
- You can adjust seasoning at this point to make sure it's salty and spicy enough to your liking 😀